Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Put Me In Coach.....













Friday, April 2nd.....a day that will go down in the books...what books, you say? Well, I am not sure...but, it was the day of our first baseball game! It is going to be so much fun! I was so unsure when we first signed him up....I had no idea if it would be all that he wanted it to be, if he would like it, if it would be too hard...so many questions...but he has absolutely fallen in love with BASEBALL!!!! And he is doing great! But I will have to say, it has brought up feelings in this mama's heart that I thought I would never have to deal with....I have always tried to be level headed and I always, ALWAYS tell my friends that if I start acting like one of "those" crazy parents, to please help me with a reality check...but then we start something like this and I realize, it is hard to fight those demons that rise up....you think it is okay if your child isn't great at a sport, but then when it really comes down to it, maybe it isn't...I mean, of course it is, but maybe in a mama's heart we just can't take it....those feelings of "is my kid as good as your kid?", "are we playing a good position?", "how is he hitting compared to everyone else?"....I am just trying to be real with y'all....we say that stuff doesn't matter, and it shouldn't, but it is hard to fight those feelings (pause for a moment to honor 'I Can't Fight this Feeling')....anyway, so it has been an experience is all I am saying! And I couldn't be prouder......


















Another thing that I am trying to understand is the etiquette of the baseball park....and if you haven't ever been there and think I am crazy, it is DEFINITELY a culture of its own.....I will have to get better! First of all, I think there must be some unwritten rule that if you are really hard core, then you ALWAYS bring your own folding chair to sit in...apparently bleachers are for amateurs. Those folding chairs aren't for the faint of heart! And then there is the manner of all things entertaining for small children.....I mean, I have just taken to losing my youngest son at least once a night at the ballpark (this is a post for another day), but this idea of acutally bringing something to entertain small children while you actually attempt to watch the game could be a winner! Also, it seems that I must brush up on my assault skills as there is a sign posted on ALL if the little league fields that reads something like "Assault of a Sports Official is a Class A Felony and is punishable by blah, blah, blah"....really, on the fence at the little league field?!? I have a lot to learn....I should go and get started...but not before I give you (drum roll please) the greatest news......

In our VERY first t-ball game, Leighton actually was "awarded" the game ball!!!! Do you think it would be too much if I had it bronzed?!?!












And, how about that team? How do you like the ratio of coaches to players?

No comments:

Post a Comment